Featured Post

Discovering Potentials

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

15. USE FAILURE TO MASTER YOURSELF

Few things can be more difficult than finding yourself failing in the heat of battle. Use this to your advantage. When you feel yourself faltering, practice staying calm and thinking clearly. Try to react coolly. You can breathe more deeply and slowly, picture a relaxing scene, or use calming internal self-talk. Use whatever techniques are most effective for you. This is a wonderful self-development exercise.

Most skills are not very useful if they fizzle out in the face of real challenge. Who needs special skills when things are going fine? It’s when you feel yourself sinking in the quicksand of impending failure that you most need your wits about you to find any possible way out. Panic and flailing about will only cause you to sink faster.

In my career as a writer, consultant, and professor, I frequently speak in front of groups although I am not a naturally extroverted person. In fact, public speaking is a very difficult challenge for me that can create a great deal of stress in my life. My natural tendency is to feel self-conscious and to be anxious about the possibility of making mistakes in front of the audience. Nevertheless, I have grown to appreciate the valuable opportunity I have every time I speak to further develop my self-leadership. And my speaking has improved significantly as a result.
Sometimes I pause and concentrate on taking a deep relaxing breath, especially if I feel the presentation is not going as smoothly as I would like. Deep slow breathing in and out of the lower abdomen is one of the most healthy and natural techniques available for achieving calm and clarity. Other times I concentrate on tensing and then relaxing certain muscles in my body—in my feet, hands, stomach, and even my face. Simple exercises such as these, when I am in the heat of public performance, have helped me to progress toward mastery of my reactions to tense and challenging situations. I still have a way to go, but often the most challenging and stressful moments afford me the best opportunity to refine my skills—CHARLES C. MANZ

As you learn to manage your emotional and physical reactions well in the short run, you increase your ability to achieve success in the long run. So when potential failure threatens your composure, practice composing yourself. You can grow your self-leadership muscles by using the challenge of potential failure as your exercise equipment for future success.

Use the challenge of potential failure as your exercise equipment for achieving self-mastery and future success.

Good Morning and have a nice day 👋
🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴